Students who are currently enrolled at one of our Partner Universities worldwide are able to come to the Academy of Fine Arts Munich (AdBK Munich) on student exchange for up to two semesters. Students must be nominated by their home universities to be eligible for the program and must show a high degree of proficiency in their chosen field of studies. Students are expected to use their time to continue their studies in a new environment, by taking part in courses or projects and to explore the different possibilities available at the Academy. Students accepted in the Partner University Exchange program are solely responsible for funding their exchange studies.


The study at the Academy is mainly organized in class associations. Overall, the Academy accommodates twenty-five classes, led by professors, who each stand for an individual approach to contemporary fine art. These classes are complemented by twenty study workshops and a library, as well as seminars and lectures in art science, philosophy, and didactics. The workshops as well as seminars, guest lectures and excursions are open to students of all disciplines. Approximately 800 students are currently enrolled at the Academy of Fine Arts in Munich. Each student is assigned to a class of his/her choice, selected during the admission process.

Information on the professors and their classes can be found here, as well as a list of the studio workshops and the study programme.

The exchange coordinator at your home institution must confirm your nomination to the Academy of Fine Arts Munich by email or letter. Applications from students who are not nominated will not be processed. 


Fact Sheet Bilateral Agreement AdBK Munich 2022-2023



Main contact at International Office: 

Johanna Aigner, Institutional Exchange Coordinator
Akademiestr. 2-4, D-80799 Munich, GERMANY
Phone: +49 89 3852 145
Fax: +49 89 3852 233
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.




If you want to apply to the Academy of Fine Arts Munich, please first make sure that your home university has a bilateral agreement with the Academy in Munich.

All applications of exchange students have to be submitted online. For this purpose, students have to register for an application account. This can be done any time after the official beginning of the application period.


The application deadline for the year 2022/2023 has expired.

In order to apply students should upload the following documents to our online portal:

  • Nomination Letter or Email
  • Passport sized picture
  • Copy of passport or identity card
  • CV
  • Portfolio (15 pages max.)
  • Proof of language proficiency (minimum B1 German or English B1)*

 * Courses are usually taught in German at AdBK Munich. Some courses and individual advice are given also in English. However, we strongly recommend to have a basic understanding of German before applying.  


Application and Nomination Deadlines
Winter Term 2023/24 & Summer Term 2024: May 15th, 2023 - No late applications can be accepted.


Decision Response
At the beginning of June a commission of professors decides on the admission of incoming exchange students. A letter of acceptance will be mailed immediately after the decision. 




The Fine Arts programs at the Academy is based on the class system, meaning that each student is initially assigned to a class and a specific professor. In addition, you can choose from a wide range of so-called "cross-curricular offers" (Studiengangsübergreifendes Angebot) (e.g. theory courses, interdisciplinary studies, study workshops, life drawing and various teaching assignments). The following list is an overview of the possible credits you can obtain by taking courses / seminars or workshops. 


The following applies: As a rule, you will receive 15 ECTS credits for the work in the class in which you are studying (provided successful participation). 


ECTS credits



Work in class (only one “main” class à 15 ECTS can be registered here)


Project work


Work in study workshops (2 ECTS per study workshop)


Theory courses, lectures etc.


Please note: At the AdBK Munich grades in the area of Fine Arts are only awarded on request. Please inform the professor / studio workshop leader at the beginning of the semester in case you need a grade so that the requirements for awarding grades can be discussed.


The following applies to all study programmes: Please note that most of the courses are offered in German. Teachers and students also offer individual advice in English.


You can find an overview of the courses offered in the course catalogue (currently in German only). Please select your degree programme and the current semester (e.g. summer semester 2022) in the top right-hand bar of the course catalogue first. The courses offered across all degree programmes (so called "Studienübergreifendes Angebot") are open to all students. Registration for the courses does not take place via the course catalogue, but via the student portal MyCampus. You will receive the access data for this after your enrolment, i.e. after your arrival in Munich. The course catalogue is usually published shortly before the semester starts.


A Transcript of Records will be issued at the end of the exchange.


Grading system:
A 1 ausgezeichnet (excellent)
B 2 sehr gut (very good)
C 2-3 gut (good)
D 3 zufriedenstellend (satisfactory)
E 4 ausreichend (acceptable)
FX 5 mangelhaft (not acceptable)
F 6 nicht bestanden (failed)




Congratulations on your acceptance!


Before you come to Munich, there are a few things to do:

  • Please transfer the administrative fees to the AdBK Munich in time. You will receive information about the bank details by email after you have been accepted. These fees must be paid for each semester you spend at the Academy. For the winter semester, please transfer the amount by 15th of September, for the summer semester by 15th of January. You can find the exact amount here. It consists of a contribution to the Munich Student Union and a basic semester ticket for Munich's public transport system. You can find more detailed information on the semester ticket here, on the website of the MVG and the Munich Student Union. Severely disabled students can be exempted from the fee. In this case, please contact the International Office.
  • Please send us a digital passport photo for your Student ID via Email.
  • Health Insurance: Incoming students need proof of a valid health insurance equivalent to the German statutory health insurance (EHIC Card). Travel insurances are usually not sufficient. Without proof of health insurance, enrolment at the Academy is not possible. Please inform yourself before your arrival. More information.


Please note our semester dates:

Winter semester: 17.10.2022 – 10.02.2023

Summer semester: 17.04.2023 – 21.07.2023



Depending on the country you come from, there are different regulations regarding visas and residence permits. Please find out in good time whether you need a visa. As a general rule, you must register with the District Administration Office - Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR) within the first two weeks of your arrival and deregister once your stay is over. You can find more information below, please see "Residence Registration",



1. International students from countries that do not require a visa for entry

Students from certain countries do not need a visa to enter Germany. On the website of the Federal Foreign Office you can always check whether your home country is one of these countries. These countries currently include (as of August 2021):
Andorra, Australia, Great Britain, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Canada, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino, South Korea, USA.


If you intend to stay in Germany for more than three months and did not require a visa to enter Germany, you must apply for a residence permit within three months of your arrival. Further information see below.



2. International students from countries that do require a student visa
All other students are required to apply for a student visa. This is usually issued for a period of 3 months. Please allow sufficient time to apply for the visa in your home country, as processing can take months. You can find the addresses of the German missions abroad on the homepage of the Federal Foreign Office. If you intend to stay in Germany for longer than three months, you must apply for a residence permit within three months of your arrival.




1. & 2: Appliying for a residence permit
International students who come from a country outside the EU or the EEA and want to stay in Germany for longer than three months must apply for a residence permit. Unlike the student visa, you only apply for the residence permit once you have arrived here and enrolled at the AdBK Munich. First register at the District Administration Office (detailed information see below). You can then apply for a residence permit at the Foreigners' Registration Office. You must go to the office in person to apply for a residence permit. The residence permit is issued in the form of an "electronic residence title". This is a card with an integrated chip in which certain data, including a passport photo and fingerprints, are stored. The residence permit is usually issued for at least one year.


You will need the following documents:

  • Valid passport, possibly with visa
  • Confirmation of registration from the Residents' Registration Office
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Certificate of enrolment
  • Money for the fee (110 Euro)
  • Proof of financing, e.g. Grant agreement, financial support by family members, blocked account incl. current bank statement
  • possibly tenancy agreement
  • Biometric passport photos


You can find more detailed information and contact persons on the website of the Munich Foreigners' Registration Office and in this Guide for Foreign Students.


Further Information on visa regulations






We recommend that you start looking for accommodation in Munich early. Finding an affordable room or flat in the city is difficult, especially in the winter semester when many first-year students from Germany also come to Munich. The International Office of the AdBK Munich in cooperation with the Munich Student Union offers a number of rooms in students halls that are distributed by lottery. Please indicate whether you are interested when applying. However, unfortunately we cannot offer a room to every incoming student. We have compiled a number of tips and useful links on finding accommodation for you in this information sheet: Accomodation in Munich


We also recommend that you contact the Munich Student Union.


Once you have found a room/flat in Munich, you must register with the Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR) within two weeks of your arrival. 




When moving to Munich to take up permanent residence – that is, if you stay for more than three month – you must register your address within two weeks of your arrival at the District Administration Office - Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR)For registration you need an appointment, which you can book here: Online appointment. (Please chose "Meldeangelegenheit", then "An-/ Ummeldung Einzelperson" and a Citizen Office (so called "Bürgerbüro")).


The Citizens Offices in Munich ar part of the District Administration Office - Kreisverwaltungsreferat and have six office locations in Munich. You may chose the office that has the most convenient location for you. All office locations are listed here.


You need to register in person or you may give another person a letter of authorisation to register on your behalf. For the registration they need your valid passport or identification card. In addition you need to present a written confirmation by your landlord or property owner. This so-called "Wohnungsgeberbestätigung" has to be filled out and signed by the landlord or property owner of your accommodation. If you authorise another person to register you they have to present your authorisation letter, their passports or identity cards, your passport or identity card, the Registration Form filled out and signed by you and the so-called "Wohungsgeberbestätigung", filled out and signed by the landlord or owner of your accommodation.


You will receive a written confirmation of registration. This proof of registration is often required by other institutions or authorities.


Required documents:

Registration form

Landlord's confirmation (Wohungsgeberbestätigung) (*if you live in a student hall of the Munich Student Union, you will receive this confirmation automatically from the Student Union)
Passport / ID 


Registration is free of charge.


Change of Address

Each subsequent change of address within Munich must also be registered with the Citizen Office. You need to register in person or you may authorize another person to register for you.



Please remember to de-register when you leave Germany. You will need the following form and your passport: De-registration form


More information


Welcome to Munich!


After your arrival, please contact the International Office (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) by Email to make an appointment and pick up your study documents. You will also receive your student ID. In order to take courses or workshops at the AdBK Munich, you must register for the student portal MyCampus. You will get more detailed information once you finished your enrolment. You can also find instructions (in German & English) here. We have also put together a short guide for you: Guideline MyCampus


In the first week of the semester, the International Office will organise a Welcome Day including a tour of the workshops, classrooms and the library. You will receive more detailed information by Email after your arrival.





German courses

The Academy works together with "Deutschkurse bei der Universität München". Information on courses, prices and their cultural programme can be found here.


Info sheet

Information on public transport in Munich, where to buy artistic material etc. can be found under Downloads.



If you would like to receive information about events at the Academy, exhibitions, job offers, etc., we recommend that you subscribe to the mailing list of the Student Council. You can subscribe and unsubscribe here.



As a student of the AdBK Munich you can participate in the program of the Central University Sports (ZHS). The ZHS offers sports from the areas of ball & game sports, mountain & climbing sports, fitness & health sports, martial arts, dance, trend & leisure sports, gymnastics & athletics, water sports and winter sports. Information on course times, registration and course booking can be found on the ZHS website.